Nature of the partnership
With 14 regions from five countries, the MAREMED partnership represents a wide and significant range of Mediterranean situations and problems. They include:
- three major delta regions (Catalonia with the Ebro, Provence Alpes Côte-d’Azur with the Rhone, Emilia Romagna with the Po);
- three islands (Corsica, Crete and Cyprus), which will help the project to identify island-specific issues for each thematic area;
- several long stretches of continuous coastline, which will make it possible to work at an appropriate level when it comes to tackling pollution, adapting to climate change, and testing shared cartographical material, particularly for the continuous stretch of territory including PACA, Campania, three neighbouring regions in Spain and two Adriatic regions;
- A partnership with Aquitaine Region will ensure complementarity with the European Atlantic seaboard through a territorial cooperation project, ANCORIM, which has similar objectives to the MAREMED project;
- Partnership with CPMR and its Intermediterranean Commission will help to disseminate the results among all European maritime regions.
The following bodies will be involved in discussions on the development of instruments:
- the European Commission DGs concerned (DG ENV, DG MARE, DG RESEARCH, DG REGIO, DG CLIMATE),
- the European Environment Agency,
- the thematic centres of the Mediterranean Action Plan (REMPEC, the Plan Bleu, PAP/RAC, etc.)
Discover more informations about the members of Maremed and their different coordinated mentioned below.